Friday, February 24, 2012

Philippians 4:13

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."


Ok, not that long ago, I was wrestling with typical life stuff that always seems so unique to my own experience and God reminded of this verse. But it rubbed me the wrong way and even moreso the more I thought about it. I know God wanted me to claim the truth of this and find comfort in it, but I couldn't. My anxiety level increased the more I thought about it.

You see, here's the problem. I have the hardest job in the entire world, as do all of you. I have 3 beautiful, bouncing, balls of energy all day every day. They are 2 (and a half), (recently turned)5, and (almost) 7. I have the incredible obligation to educate this energy (no matter how non-traditional the style or method) all the while I'm feeding, transporting, and nurturing their spirits in between my own personal and spiritual growth and pursuits. I also have half a dozen other irons prodded deep in the fires of trials as well. And honestly, if you've read my book, you also might imagine what trials might also be involved with the daily task of undoing the past and keeping it removed from my present parenting.

Play your little mousy violin, but my problem with Philippians 4:13 was that I don't WANT to do ALL things! I merely want to do SOME things. And in fact, I just want to do THIS, whatever "this" is at a given moment of my day. The day I grappled with this verse, I couldn't take another minute of the weight of my burden. I felt crushed by it and overcome, which is why God picked this verse to speak to me. When I poured out my heart to Him, I said, "Lord, this verse is a burden more than a blessing. I don't want to do all things. I just need to know I can do this one thing that is more than I can handle. You said I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Does that mean even this?"

The peace was restored before His reply, "Even this, Lisa."

"Oh, okay. I get it now Lord. I can do EVEN THIS through Christ who strengthens me!"

So how about you, Reader? What is the one thing you are sure God excluded from the "all" part of Philippians 4:13? What area or task or trial do you think He wasn't talking about? Of course, God was speaking in the realm of reality. In other words, He wasn't saying I can go out tomorrow and run a marathon or leap from amazing heights and not plumet to my death, or any other feat that defies the laws of nature. We're talking here about the healing process or the daily grind. The part of you that screams, "I just can't forgive him one more time!!!" The part of your process that says, "This is too hard!" or, "The darkness is too dark. I just can't see into it," or, "I can't let go or else I'll forget."

Look that "impossible" thing in the eye and say, "I can do EVEN THIS through Christ who strengthens me!" God has never told a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment